Book: The Ballad Collectors of North America
Map: Music in Los Angeles
My World Music class actively incorporates fieldwork into their studies. This map is a result of students scouring Los Angeles for venues and performances, and loading some of their findings into a Google map. Instructor.
CD: Live at Mona's
America's first live session album, this is a series of field recordings documenting Eamon O'Leary and Patrick Ourceau's legendary Irish music session in New York's Lower East Side. Recording engineer. Info and reviews.
Group: Washington Square Harp and Shamrock Orchestra
A traditional Irish music community group based at NYU, playing NYC Irish music from the turn of the previous century. CD Since Maggie Dooley Learned the Hooley Hooley. Manager and performer.
Article: Soundscapes and Representation
Published in the journal Media Ecology, this article explores the relationships between performance and museum soundscapes in the Mashantucket Pequot Museum and Research Center in Connecticut. Author.
Website: Bronx Tunes
A series of oral history interviews with and performances by Irish musicians living in The Bronx, New York. An initiative supported by CUNY's Institute for Irish American Studies. Interviewer.
Capt. Francis O'Neill Display
With Milwaukee's Ward Irish Music Archives and Dublin's Irish Traditional Music Archives, this will be a crowd-sourced display of dedication pages signed by Capt. Francis O'Neill.
- Article on YouTube Jazz memes
- Article on Dizzy Gillespie and Chano Pozo
- Article on NYPD line-of-duty funerals
- Irish 78 rpm record USC Library collection
(contact for details)
- Digital approaches to oral history interviews (NYU, CUNY, USC)
- Music research and repertoire for film and television
- Genre and song selection for arts and theater
- Grant writing in the arts
- Advisory Boards
- Digitization and archival projects
- Academic writing and editing
- Recording and fieldwork (Smithsonian, etc.)